Unfortunately, fertility is a huge concern for some couples in today’s times. Treatment methods such as IUI, or Intrauterine Insemination can assist in conceiving. However, the outcome and IUI depends largely on different factors and it is therefore important that everyone should have a clear and complete understanding to avoid common mistakes before taking the first IUI fertility treatment.
A much cheaper and less invasive alternative than in-vitro fertilization (IVF), IUI is a non-invasive procedure without anesthesia that is performed in a fertility clinic setting to increase the chances of getting pregnant. It is mostly successful in couples diagnosed with mild male factor infertility, unexplained fertility, coital disorders, and minimal endometriosis. It is also effective in women who have had a successful pregnancy in the past or who are younger.
Here are a few dos and don’ts that you need to follow before taking the first IUI fertility treatment :
Dos Before First IUI Fertility Treatment
- Healthy lifestyle and a reasonable amount of exercise will do a lot of good to help you prepare for IUI.
- It is recommended to try meditation, yoga, Pilates, or seek the assistance of a support group online or in the local area. Alternative therapies like herbal or nutritional supplements or acupuncture may be adopted. However, these decisions should only be made after having a consultation with the IUI expert.
- It is extremely important for you to eat healthy and increase the count of lean proteins in the diet.
- Expectorant that can thin out the cervical mucus may be used under medical supervision to assist the sperm to sustain.
- It is important to manage stress well. The doctor may suggest stress management and reduction through yoga, meditation, or other means.
- It is suggested to stay toxin-free and hydrated by drinking lots of water.
- Daily multivitamins that contain folic acid should be consumed.
- Whole foods such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains should be incorporated into the diet. It is best to include one or two serving of full-fat dairy products like cheese, milk, and yogurt.
Don’ts Before First IUI Fertility Treatment
- The use of anabolic steroids and other similar performance enhancing drugs should be stopped immediately. The use of any other illegal drugs must also be stopped.
- The intake of caffeine, cigarettes, and alcohol should be reduced, if it cannot be eliminated completely.
- The use of prescription medicine of any kind should be communicated to the IUI doctor ahead in advance.
- High impact exercise and strenuous activities like step aerobics and jogging must be avoided. On the other hand, light exercise like swimming, walking, yoga, and light aerobics may be fine.
How To Have A Successful IUI?
Quality of the sperm and egg along with timing are crucial for successful IUI. It is extremely important to time the insemination and must ideally happen slightly before the time of ovulation. The IUI must be attempted strictly within 12-24 hours after ovulation, when the eggs are viable. This can dramatically enhance the chances of a successful pregnancy. Therefore, it is extremely important that you should an eminent institution or facility like the Bloom Reproductive Institute that is acclaimed worldwide for successful IUI procedures.